If you're looking for a truck that can handle any terrain, you might want to check out the 2024 Toyota Tacoma Trailhunter. This new trim level of the popular midsize pickup is designed to offer the best off-road performance and features of any Tacoma ever made. Here's what you need to know about this rugged and capable truck.
What Is the Trailhunter?
The 2024 Toyota Tacoma Trailhunter is a special edition of the Tacoma that builds on the TRD Off-Road model. It adds many enhancements and upgrades to make it more suitable for challenging trails and rough conditions. Some of the key features of the Trailhunter include:
- A 3.5-liter V6 engine with 278 hp and 265 lb-ft of torque
- A six-speed manual or automatic transmission with a two-speed transfer case
- A locking rear differential and an electronically controlled limited-slip differential
- A crawl control system and a multi-terrain select system
- A 1-inch lift kit with Bilstein shocks and springs
- A skid plate package with front, engine, transmission, and fuel tank protection
- A TRD Pro grille, hood scoop, fender flares, and black badges
- A set of 16-inch black alloy wheels with Goodyear Wrangler all-terrain tires
- A bed-mounted spare tire carrier with a full-size spare tire
- A TRD cat-back exhaust system with a black chrome tip
- A black leather-trimmed interior with red stitching and Trailhunter logos
- An 8-inch touchscreen infotainment system with Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, and Amazon Alexa compatibility
- A JBL premium sound system with nine speakers and a subwoofer
- A wireless charging pad and a 120-volt power outlet in the bed
- A suite of safety features, including adaptive cruise control, lane departure alert, pre-collision system, blind spot monitor, and rear cross-traffic alert
How Does It Compare to Other Tacomas?
The Toyota Tacoma Trailhunter is the most expensive and exclusive Tacoma trim level, with a starting price of $44,995 for the manual transmission and $46,295 for the automatic. That's about $7,000 more than the TRD Off-Road model and $3,000 more than the TRD Pro model. However, it also offers more features and capabilities than any other Tacoma, making it an excellent value for off-road enthusiasts.
The Trailhunter pickup truck has higher ground clearance, better approach and departure angles, more skid plate coverage, and more traction aids than any other Tacoma. It also has a unique look that sets it apart from the rest of the lineup. The Trailhunter is essentially a Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro with extra goodies and a lower production volume.
How Does It Perform Off-Road?
The 2024 Toyota Tacoma Trailhunter is a beast off-road. It can easily tackle any terrain thanks to its powerful engine, robust drivetrain, advanced electronics, and durable suspension. The crawl control system allows you to set a constant speed and let the truck handle the throttle and braking while you focus on steering. The multi-terrain select system lets you choose from five modes (mud and sand, loose rock, mogul, rock and dirt, and rock) to optimize the traction control and throttle response for different surfaces.
The locking rear differential and the limited-slip differential help distribute power evenly to both rear wheels for maximum grip. The Bilstein shocks and springs provide a smooth ride and excellent articulation over bumps and obstacles. The skid plates protect the vital components from damage, while the spare tire carrier ensures you have a backup in case of a flat.
The 2024 Toyota Tacoma Trailhunter also has plenty of features to make your off-road adventure more comfortable and enjoyable. The leather seats are supportive and cozy, while the JBL sound system delivers crisp and clear audio. The infotainment system keeps you connected and entertained with various apps and services. The wireless charging pad and the power outlet let you charge your devices on the go. The safety features help you avoid collisions and alert you to potential hazards.
Is It Worth It?
If you're looking for a truck that can do it all, the 2024 Toyota Tacoma Trailhunter might be worth it. It offers unparalleled off-road performance and features in a stylish and practical package. It's also reliable and durable, as you would expect from a Toyota product. It's not cheap, but it's not outrageous either. It's a truck that will make you happy on any road or trail.
The Trailhunter pickup truck is not for everyone, though. If you don't plan to go off-road often or at all, you might be better off with a lower trim level or a different truck altogether. The Trailhunter is also not very fuel-efficient or spacious compared to some rivals. It's a truck that prioritizes function over form.
But if you're looking for a truck that can handle any terrain without compromising on quality or comfort, the 2024 Toyota Tacoma Trailhunter might be just what you need. It's a truck that will make you feel like a trailblazer.